Have Fun in the Sun with Dermalogica10:34 PM
What do you wear for a day out in the sun? Anything, I suppose. What do you wear for a FUN day ...
What do you wear for a day out in the sun? Anything, I suppose.
What do you wear for a FUN day out in the sun?
For me, it'll be sunglasses, hat and sun protection products (sunblock/sunscreen etc). Yes, definitely need to load up on sun protection products! Else there won't be any fun when you have to return home all red and sunburnt.
Did you know that even on a cloudy day, the harmful UV rays can still get to you? Even when you're not directly under the sun you're exposed to UV rays! Especially for us Malaysians where our country lies on the equator, even more UV rays! (I can imagine the sun going: "You can run but you can't hide!" right now) And all these exposure to UV can result in hyperpigmentation and other sighs of visible aging (gasp!) to the face, neck and hands.
Good thing Dermalogica has recently introduced new formulations and upgrades to its Daylight Defense System, which takes sun protection to a whole new level!
What sets this sun protection product series apart from the rest? Dermalogica uses 2 sophisticated technologies to boost product performance. One of them being:
UV Smart Booster Technology
- Well, not only does Dermalogica Daylight Defense System contains antioxidants, but these antioxidants (like vitamins C & E) are encapsulated into a microcapsule that activates only when needed. Why is this important? Alright why do we need antioxidants in our sun protection products anyway? Did you know that no matter how much sunscreen you load on, there will still be some UV that can get to your skin? For example, a sunscreen of SPF 60 can only screen out up to 98% of the harmful rays. Free radicals from UV can get to your skin and causes skin damage.
Guess who can save you? Antioxidants! Yes, antioxidants combat free radicals. But since they are vitamins, you can't expect antioxidants to last the entire day can you? This is where the UV Smart Booster Technology comes into the picture. With it, vitamins are released when exposed to UV rays, delivering enhanced photo-protection when it is most needed. Almost magical!
Jesie Hong, Group Education Manager for Dermalogica, has taught us a thing or two about sun protection.
For starters, did you know that you need to use at least half a teaspoon of sunscreen for your face and neck to ensure full coverage? I've just learned this and to think that I use only few drops every time, no wonder my face got pigmented :( So from now onwards I shall not skimp on sun protection!
Also, the SPF in your makeup products are definitely not sufficient! They are not in the right amount and are definitely not specially formulated to protect. Treat them as a bonus and don't even think about skipping the actual sunscreen.
Here are some extra sunscreen tips for you:
- Always choose sun protection products with "Broad Spectrum" because these are the ones that offer both UVA and UVB protection.
- Use sunscreen even when you're indoors.
- Avoid direct exposure to sun from 10AM - 4PM.
- If you're using chemical sunscreen for the first time, mix it with your moisturizer for the first couple of weeks for your skin to adapt to it.
- To achieve a lighter texture, mix your sunscreen with toner or skin hydrating booster.
- When reapplying sunscreen on makeup, spritz on some toner first and then gently PRESS on sunscreen.
Alright now let's check out the Dermalogica Daylight Defense System!
Solar Defense Booster SPF50 50ml (RM 278.00)
A chemical sunscreen for all skin conditions. This is the one I'm using!
Super Sensitive Shield SPF30 50ml (RM 220.00)
A physical sunscreen for sensitized, reactive and recently resurfaced skin. Suitable for sensitive skin that tends to be oily.
Ultra Sensitive Tint SPF30 50ml (RM 176.00)
A physical sunscreen for sensitized, reactive and recently resurfaced skin. Suitable for sensitive skin that tends to be dry.
Oil Free Matte SPF30 50ml (RM 230.00)
A chemical sunscreen for oily and breakout-prone skin.